Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RHCP in Teraz Rock magazine (Anthony and Chad interview)

2 posters

Go down

RHCP in Teraz Rock magazine (Anthony and Chad interview) Empty RHCP in Teraz Rock magazine (Anthony and Chad interview)

Post by ivarhcp4ever 4th August 2011, 23:16

Scans from Polish "Teraz Rock" magazine.
What might be one of the most interesting things from this interview is Anthony saying, that they won't play songs from One Hot Minute.
I could translate some parts of this interview if someone would be interested.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

TRANSCRIPT
We've met the musicians – just like with By The Way promotion – in luxury hotel in Santa Monica. They've chosen in it probably because of comfort: it's close to [their] houses in Malibu. After going to apartment, where interview is going to be made, you bump into three of them. Anthony Kiedis and Chad Smith on the sofa and Josh Klinghoffer on... fireplace. A humble person, wearing hoodie, at first look you can take him as someone from outside of the band [managment etc]. He said hello, joked and went (through a hall full of running children – real redhot kindergarten) to the other room, where he was interviewed with Flea.
Oh, dolphin! - said Anthony, wearing trucker cap on a head and a big moustache.
Yeah, they swim close often – said Chad, traditionally in baseball cap, but with visor backwards. After oceanographic comments we came to main topic. I'm With You.
INTERVIEW WITH ANTHONY KIEDIS AND CHAD SMITH
Congratulations, there has happened the most non dramatic change of the guitarist in history of RHCP.
Chad: Yes, I think it was the most peaceful one – to use that word. We've done tour, did a break and John decided, that he doesn't want to play with the band anymore, he wants to do something [what's] ”his”. We gave him our blessing. We love John as a person, but also as a someone who had big contribution in our band, he's wonderful in every way. We wanted for him to be free, happy, could do what he likes to do, too. We're grateful for everything what he bring in our life, but we wanted to continue activity [band]. Josh was already in our family, we've known him for many years. Asking him was logical and practical thing. Fact, that he agreed to play with us, was a big happiness. He's wonderful musician, although completely different from John...
Anthony: ...In every way. It was a beautiful thing. There was no drama, even opposite. I don't know, if me, personally would have enough of brave to convince to that type of change. Thank God, John had that brave to come to us and say: I think, that time has come for me to do my own things, by myself. He had very positive feedback. I think that was a relief for all of us: from John through Chad to Flea, because our collaboration just came to an end. His brave, to go away, has opened opportunities for both of sides. Maybe, unconsciously, we needed that type of shot of fresh blood, new ideas, something, that would change band's chemistry and gave a chance to start all over again. There was something beautiful in being free from comfort of familar situation and go into a state of uncertainty, which is forcing to retrain, to still be good, to mean something. This album wasn't going to be something else [from thing from the sentence before]. From the other side, we had a lot of coincidence in that situation, faith in us and Josh, belief that this is gonna work out... There wasn't a shadow of doubt in the rehearsal room when we started playing. Especially the first day, which was very productive from the very beginning. Already the first day we made songs that are on the album.

Do you think sometimes about previous guitarists? [like] Hillel Slovak, who died in 1988? It had to be a shocking experience for you.
Anthony: It was one of those things, which made a huge psychical change in my life, on my way. It wasn't obviously that, I've stopped immediately taking drugs. That when Hillel died, I said to myself: I'll never take [drugs] again. I couldn't wait for high after his death, I wanted to drown feelings so much, as it was possible. So I can't say, that it has changed me in that way. It was although a experience, which refreshed me in a emotional way. I've never experienced that loss in my life before. I know also, that I wouldn't be here today, if not Hillel. He was an architect of our band in a big percent. Someone who started working on our music years before I have met him, someone, who with joy has connected my non musical energy with his musical energy for RHCP to become. I don't think that any band in the world wanted to have me as a vocalist back then. And he said: Let's do it, have fun, let it begin. In some kind of sense, he put me into my place. He gave me a job for the rest of my life. Whenever we record an album, it is done a bit in tribute to him. He was one of the fathers-inventors. His energy never disappeared from our life.
Chad: I've never met Hillel. But I hear about him from Flea and Anthony for so many years, that I feel, like I would have known him. Flea says for example funny story, when he was going back with you by hitch-hiking from some aquapark and then Hillel is driving in his Datsun B210... And you said: Hey, I know this guy, I was with him on a biology. You waved and he took you [both]... Remember that?
Anthony: Datsun says me something, I spent years in this car. But I don't remember this situation. Hillel wasn't going with me to class for sure, he could have with Flea. I was visiting him on arts lessons, which I didn't get to [he means, he wasn't good enough]. I say to the teacher: Good morning, could I visit my friend, Hillel? He says: Okay, do your thing. I was sitting there with him and mostly we were wooing to that girl, Charmaine Blumenthal. My God, we were staring at her non-stop... She was a real chick. Hillel actually tasted her later. I asked him: How was it? And he said: Spicy. Very spicy... Indeed, I feel like Chad would have known Hillel.
Chad: Yes, that's amazing. I've joined soon after his death, but John was in big influence of Hillel, he was talking about him all the time. Hillel blew a spirit in this band, he was a big part of it. I feel like I would have known him. Thanks to boys I feel his presence in our band.

Josh Klinghoffer was peforming with you for some time as a fifth on a stage. Were you suspecting that John is going to leave and it was a preparing of new musician?
Anthony: No.
Chad: No!
Anthony: Tour last really long. It's first half was a big pleasure for us, we were full of enthusiasm that we play Stadium Arcadium. But in the halfway point it started to be harder and harder. Condition, physical, mental and emotional was getting worse. One of the reasons we invited Josh then, was fact, that he was John's good friend. We wanted for John to have a friend around. Someone, who would made him a little bit happier on the tour, and also allow him to play in a different way, because he will have support...
Chad: And we could play different songs.
Anthony: It was about something, what would give us joy. We could play without another guitarist – it was just a bonus. We needed a friend, which will come and become a part of our experience. There was never an idea of preparing him to join the band. And I think it was a completely surprise for Josh, John and us, that it happened that way. But everything has it's own reason. When the position [of guitarist] was free, after really short time of discussion he became an obvious reason.
[…]

Already in the first single there appears typical redhot person: Raindance Maggie, just like Dani California before. First chapter of new trylogy?
Anthony: He, he – not this time. Every chapters are included into this one. But you never know... […] Goodbye Dani – welcome Maggie!
[…]

While listening to your new material I couldn't not think about associations with 70's rock. Just like for example, Happines Loves Company, where you can hear Stones...
Chad: We're inspired by whole of music, every periods. We weren't trying to go for it to sound like not usually our band sounds. We wanted to keep sincerity and to be alright with ourselves, play from our hearts. I'll give an example: Flea was listening to Rolling Stones, Bach and electronic music...
Anthony: Bach was listening to a lot of Stones, too, when he was composing.
Chad: Yes, they play for a long time now (laugh).
[…]

From what you said [before, which I didn't translate] it sounds like Josh likes sound textures, which reminds a bit Dave Navarro. Maybe now, you'll go back to playing live songs from One Hot Minute?
Anthony: Answer is: no and no. In my opinion, Dave Navarro is zeppelin, they were Led Zeppelin of 90's (Jane's Addiction) [it is about not translated part of interview]. Textures? Different. Completely different. I don't feel any connection of Josh and that period of time. Something completely different. Of some reason, we always miss that album. We talked about playing a few songs [from it], but to the picture of songs we paint on the concerts, they don't really fit. I'm not saying that we don't like those songs – there are a few really great ones on it, which I highly value, but they... Just don't go to the setlist. There are too many different things, from which we can get, especially now, when we have I'm With You. We want to load our set with those songs, we are a bit forced too to play things from Blood Sugar, Californication, By The Way and – if Peter Mensch will have it his own way – Stadium Arcadium. You would be surprised how often he says about them.
[…]

Izvor: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
ivarhcp4ever
ivarhcp4ever
I am what I am Most motherfuckers Don't give a damn

Number of posts : 5030
Registration date : 2009-01-07

https://ivarhcp4ever.see.me/

Back to top Go down

RHCP in Teraz Rock magazine (Anthony and Chad interview) Empty Re: RHCP in Teraz Rock magazine (Anthony and Chad interview)

Post by Tanja 5th August 2011, 08:57

ala oni bas ono se raspricaju! :D

i naravno thankyou seko!
Tanja
Tanja
Yertle The Turtle
Yertle The Turtle

Number of posts : 10378
Registration date : 2009-08-12

Back to top Go down

RHCP in Teraz Rock magazine (Anthony and Chad interview) Empty Re: RHCP in Teraz Rock magazine (Anthony and Chad interview)

Post by ivarhcp4ever 5th August 2011, 09:28

Da ^^ Zbog toga ih volimo xD
Ništa seko ;)
ivarhcp4ever
ivarhcp4ever
I am what I am Most motherfuckers Don't give a damn

Number of posts : 5030
Registration date : 2009-01-07

https://ivarhcp4ever.see.me/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down