Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RHCP: I'm With You - Review from FHM

3 posters

Go down

RHCP: I'm With You - Review from FHM Empty RHCP: I'm With You - Review from FHM

Post by ivarhcp4ever 21st August 2011, 06:40

"FHM editor Guy Mosel went to a listening session for the new Red Hot Chili Peppers album, I’m With You, last night. Here’s what he though of it."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A listening session is not an ideal environment to take in an album for the first time. In between declining your fifth battered prawn and making small talk with the record company guys, “hearing the music” often takes a back seat. (Actually, I lied: I didn’t decline that fifth prawn. That was some good prawn.) Be that as it may, this is what I think about the new Red Hot Chili Peppers album: I don’t quite know what to think about the new Red Hot Chili Peppers album.

I’ve been a pretty passive listener to RHCP over the years. I never owned Blood Sugar Sex Magik or Californication, but every other Australian male born between 1970 and 1978 did so I’m well versed in the Kiedis/Flea/Frusciante milieu. My problem with their new album, I’m With You is that I don’t know who the hell is going to be interested in it. It sounds nothing like their multi-million selling mega-records of yore, so their “real” fans are bound to be disappointed. But neither does it sound like anything else going on in music right now, so I can’t see I’m With You attracting new fans.

Which is kind of a shame because it’s a good record. They’ve continued to tone down their shouty, cock-funk schtick, opting instead for a bit more subtlety and restraint, to which I say, “Thank f**k”. But it’s also a schizophrenic collection. Track four, Ethiopia, is as close to a RHCP standard as you’ll get, but elsewhere there’s Latin rhythms, keyboards, an 80s pop bass line that sounds like a Mel and Kim sample, and even a hint of swing. It makes for entertaining listening, for sure, but again: who’s the audience? The Suck My Kiss crew will mock it for being too soft and demand they bring back Frusciante; the casual listener is going to melt their brain trying to find a box to stick it in.

Still, what do I know? I thought Stadium Arcadium was a bloated, self-indulgent train wreck; it sold seven million copies and was nominated for seven Grammys. So perhaps you shouldn’t pay attention to the bloke with prawn juice on his trousers.

Izvor: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

ivarhcp4ever
ivarhcp4ever
I am what I am Most motherfuckers Don't give a damn

Number of posts : 5030
Registration date : 2009-01-07

https://ivarhcp4ever.see.me/

Back to top Go down

RHCP: I'm With You - Review from FHM Empty Re: RHCP: I'm With You - Review from FHM

Post by RHCP dreamer 21st August 2011, 06:48

FHM je casopis sa golim tetama zar ne? xx
RHCP dreamer
RHCP dreamer
More will be revealed my friend

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2008-05-27

Back to top Go down

RHCP: I'm With You - Review from FHM Empty Re: RHCP: I'm With You - Review from FHM

Post by Tanja 21st August 2011, 08:24

da ti to nisi spomenuo vjerujem da nikome ne bi palo na pamet! xD

inace kao sto lik rece da mu se ni SA nije svidjao, zalim ali necu da uvazim njegovo misljenje! :)
Tanja
Tanja
Yertle The Turtle
Yertle The Turtle

Number of posts : 10378
Registration date : 2009-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down