Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RHCP “The music that changed my life” – Q Magazine

+3
Rhcpfun
anajovanovski
Tanja
7 posters

Go down

RHCP “The music that changed my life” – Q Magazine Empty RHCP “The music that changed my life” – Q Magazine

Post by Tanja 13th October 2011, 07:10

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS
THE FUNKY MONKS. DRIVEN BY SONGS ABOUT ROLLER SKATES AND GRUB WORMS.

How are you, how’s your day been?
Anthony Kiedis: Y’know, I’m very good. My day’s been great.
Chad Smith: It’s all good.

What was your first musical memory?
Josh Klinghoffer: When I was five I got several cassettes of
The Beatles and The Beach Boys. Then, when I was eight, I got the Sex Pistols’ Never Mind The Bollocks.

Chad Smith: My brother’s record collection, when I was six or seven. He had all the late-’60s/early-’70s English hard rock and blues bands like Humble Pie, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Cream…That was a fertile period from 1969, when I was seven, to 1973. My brother played the guitar, and I’d started to play the drums OK, so we began playing in a band together called… Rocking Conspiracy! It was right around the time of Watergate and all that shit – we were very controversial.

What was the first record you bought?
Flea: Satch Plays Fats – Louis Armstrong playing the
music of Fats Waller. [Sings] “All that meat and no potatoes/
Just ain’t right – like green tomatoes.”

Chad Smith: A 45 called Groovy Grubworm by Harlow Wilcox & The Oakies. It was an instrumental jam, and right in the middle it stopped and the guy went, “I’m a grubworm!”

Anthony Kiedis: Neil Young, Heart Of Gold. I lived in Grand Rapids, Michigan. In its own special way I guess it did shape me a little bit. It wasn’t like I ever wanted to emulate that sound, but it just was a song that got to me. The other one was Melanie’s Brand New Key -I bought them on the same day.

Where do you go from Neil Young and Brand New Key?
Anthony Kiedis: See, most of the music I listened to from five till 11 was AM Radio. I lived with my mom. She played Carole King, which spoke to me. I also have a memory of being profoundly affected by Edgar Winter’s Frankenstein – my radio went off in the middle of the night and it was playing. The other thing I heard was Wings. I loved them: I didn’t know anything about the history or the politics of The Beatles, and I wasn’t cool enough to gravitate towards John Lennon.
Even now that first Wings record [1971’s Wild Life] slays me.

What was your first gig?
Chad Smith: Blue Oyster Cult at Pine Knob Music Centre, Detroit, 1975. The reason I went was that Kiss were supposed to open for them and I was obsessed with Kiss when I was 13. Anyway, they cancelled – Gene Simmons had a herpes outbreak or something. So Michael Quatro, Suzi Quatro’s elder brother, opened the gig. I actually ended up playing drums with that guy.

Who was your first inspiration?
Anthony Kiedis: It wasn’t one single person. Iggy Pop, David Bowie. I saw a Bowie concert in the early ’70s that was absolutely magical. I never wanted to be like him but I was in love with what he was doing. I actually didn’t feel like making music until the early ’80s when I started listening to some hardcore funk records that were coming out by bands like Defunkt and Grandmaster Mash And The Furious Five. That’s when it dawned on me that I might be able to do that – particularly when I heard Grandmaster Flash.

What’s the most embarrassing record you own?
Chad Smith: Tainted Love by Soft Cell. I like some pretty sappy Chicago songs, too.

And the record you couldn’t be without?
Josh Klinghoffer: At this point I’ve determined that Veedon Fleece by Van Morrison is my favourite record of all time. I love it from start to finish; it’s perfect.

Last time a piece of music reduced you to tears?
Flea: It was about a month ago. I was walking along the beach at Big Sur listening to the Ruff Draft EP by [late Detroit rapper/producer] J Dilla. It was a really powerful experience – so beautiful it made me cry.

What is your karaoke song of choice?
Josh Klinghoffer: Oh! Give It Away… by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

One lyric you wish you’d written?
Anthony Kiedis: God, there’s about 500. I can listen to any Bob Dylan record and go, “I wish I had that ability to talk about life in the way he did.” He and his predecessors – like Woody Guthrie. Early rappers like NWA – not that I can relate to their common experience; I just like their honesty.

What’s your favourite record of the past 25 years?
Chad Smith: I really liked Guns N’ Roses Appetite For Destruction. Right when I moved out here to California, they were just starting to blow up. I would go to clubs on the Sunset Strip and see Axl Rose and Slash hanging out. I liked their whole refreshing attitude. John Frusciante loved that record, too, so we were able to bond over it.

And what song will be playing at your funeral?
Flea: I’ve always said in the past that Bold As Love by Jimi
Hendrix would be the song. But of late I’ve been having a few other thoughts… something by [bebop-era jazz singer] Babs Gonzales And His Three Bips And A Bop would be great.
Tanja
Tanja
Yertle The Turtle
Yertle The Turtle

Number of posts : 10378
Registration date : 2009-08-12

Back to top Go down

RHCP “The music that changed my life” – Q Magazine Empty Re: RHCP “The music that changed my life” – Q Magazine

Post by anajovanovski 13th October 2011, 09:58

What is your karaoke song of choice?
Josh Klinghoffer: Oh! Give It Away… by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

zanimljivo :)
thankyou
anajovanovski
anajovanovski
Under the bridge downtown

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2011-03-07

Back to top Go down

RHCP “The music that changed my life” – Q Magazine Empty Re: RHCP “The music that changed my life” – Q Magazine

Post by Rhcpfun 13th October 2011, 10:35

Chad Smith: I really liked Guns N’ Roses Appetite For Destruction. Right when I moved out here to California, they were just starting to blow up. I would go to clubs on the Sunset Strip and see Axl Rose and Slash hanging out. I liked their whole refreshing attitude. John Frusciante loved that record, too, so we were able to bond over it.

charlie Nisam znao za to :)

Super je ovo, uzivao sam citajuci!

thankyou
Rhcpfun
Rhcpfun
I am what I am Most motherfuckers Don't give a damn

Number of posts : 2090
Registration date : 2009-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by ivarhcp4ever 13th October 2011, 10:52

Najlepši i najdivniji intervju ikada :)

Heart Of Gold ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
ivarhcp4ever
ivarhcp4ever

Number of posts : 5030
Registration date : 2009-01-07

https://ivarhcp4ever.see.me/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick The Spamlord 14th October 2011, 00:00

Rhcpfun wrote:

thankyou

Samo jos Sles fali :D
Nick The Spamlord
Nick The Spamlord
Yertle The Turtle
Yertle The Turtle

Number of posts : 12176
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhcpfun 15th October 2011, 02:40

Nick The Spamlord wrote:
Rhcpfun wrote:

thankyou

Samo jos Sles fali :D

lol eto mog novog desktopa!
thankyou
Rhcpfun
Rhcpfun

Number of posts : 2090
Registration date : 2009-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by ivarhcp4ever 16th October 2011, 01:14

Meni je bolja ona slika sa Eddie Vedder-om xD
ivarhcp4ever
ivarhcp4ever

Number of posts : 5030
Registration date : 2009-01-07

https://ivarhcp4ever.see.me/

Back to top Go down

Post by RedHeaded 16th October 2011, 02:44

Nisam ni ja znala da mu je Appetite najdrazi album :) Ali se sjecam da je u Atnonyjevoj knjizi pisalo da je Chad na audiciju za bubnjara došao obučen kao da svira u GnR (ili tako nešto)... :D Kasnije su GnR otvarali jedan koncert Peppersima... itd. :)

Hvala na intervjuu :)
RedHeaded
RedHeaded

Number of posts : 1141
Registration date : 2011-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by IgoRhcp 16th October 2011, 03:40

Ne, rekao je da je nosio majicu Metallice xx
IgoRhcp
IgoRhcp

Number of posts : 3267
Registration date : 2009-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down