Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fela - Intervju

Go down

Fela - Intervju Empty Fela - Intervju

Post by Charlie`From`Stadium 22nd May 2008, 06:36

Ovde mozete da postavite ako dodjete do nekog intervija ili nekog slichnog materijala ...

BASS PLAYER MAGAZINE presents: Legends of rock bass - interviews with 30 groundshaking gurus

Flea is one of the most recognizable rock bassist of the last 20 years. Why? Because he's combined high-energe stage presence and punk attitude with line after creative line of funk-rock goodness and groove.

Compared to the full-bore thumbwork of early RHCP records, your parts on BSSM and OHM showcased a more stripped-down, rudimentary approach.
I was trying to play simply on BSSM 'cause I had been playing too much prior to that, so I thought, I've really got to chill out and play half as many notes. When you play less, it's more exciting - there's more room for everything. If I dó play something busy, it stands out, instead of the bass being a constant onslaught of notes. Space is good.
I think my playing on OHM is even more simple; I just wanted to play shit that sounded good, and I didn't care about the parts being perfect. It's not that I don't love the bass passionately anymore - I just felt I'd been getting too many accolades for being 'Joe Bass Player'

So the simpler approach is a reaction to all the recognition you've received?
That, plus the whole concept of being a jack-off musician and not thinking about the bigger picture. I dó consider myself fortunate to have achieved popularity as a bassist, but I felt there was too much emphasis being placed on playing technique, as opposed to just playing music. So, before we recorded that album, I spent more time strumming an acoustic guitar, than I did playing bass. To mé, bassparts are more incidental to the song now, because I'm thinking less as a bassist and more as a songwriter.

What's your opinion on the role of the bass?
It's difficult to generalize, but I like hearing the basswhen it's really locking in with the drums. I like it simple. I like it when it makes you want to have sex - that warm, good feeling. Very seldom do I enjoy bass playing that takes center stage; even a funk song where the bass is the focus, such as Funkadelic's "(Not Just) Knee Deep", it's such a funky groove, it's not - 'look at me!'
Plenty of bassist have fancy chops, but they don't make you feel any emotions. You don't feel anger, fear or love. That's what I call: 'all flash and no smash' a phrase I got from Lonnie Marshall of the band Weapon of Choice. Lonnie's one of the funkiest bass players alive today- I've totally copied stuff off him.

So what's your function as the RHCP bassist?
My position goes beyond that of just a bass player, I also consider myself an entertainer. As a bassist, my job is to 'kick ass'. When I pick up my bass and play with the band, it's time to get serious. It's my job to give my all every time I play, no matter how I feel. But also I buy into the show-bizz aesthatic of giving a dazzling performance, and I'm into putting on a show.

Does the entertainer-side of your job ever interfere with the bass player-side?
No. With standing in one place and playing isn't what the RHCP are about - it's about being the wildest rockband on earth. People buy tickets to see us play, and I like entertaining 'em. I think as much about dancing and being bizarre as I do about playing well. I'm not saying that to do a good show you have to jump around and do an avant-garde dance while spinning on your head - but no-one would have liked Charlie Chaplin if he hadn't fallen on his head every once in a while! [laughs]
Charlie`From`Stadium
Charlie`From`Stadium
I am what I am Most motherfuckers Don't give a damn

Number of posts : 6871
Registration date : 2008-05-20

http://charliefromstadium.blog.hr

Back to top Go down